WA State Licensing: Unemployment insurance

Unemployment insurance

Unemployment Insurance coverage is required if you employ 1 or more persons.

Covering corporate officers

Officers of for-profit corporations who provide services in Washington are automatically exempt from unemployment insurance unless the employer specifically requests to cover them. If you want to cover your corporate officers, you must submit a Voluntary Election Form to the Employment Security Department.

Post your license

You may not begin this business activity until you receive a Business License listing the required license.

How to get unemployment insurance

File online with My DOR.


    Learn how to:

By mail

  1. Complete a Business License Application.
  2. Mail your completed application with a check or money order payable to “Department of Revenue” for the fees to:
    State of Washington
    Business Licensing Service
    PO Box 9034
    Olympia, WA 98507-9034

In person

  1. Complete the Business License Application.
  2. Bring your completed application and fees to any business licensing office.


Specialty license Fees
Unemployment insurance No fee
Other fees that may apply Fees
State tax registration No fee
Registering your business name as a trade name $5
Business License Application fee $19 (non-refundable)

Contact information

State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034

Phone: 360-705-6741
Email: BLS@dor.wa.gov
Fax: 360-705-6699

Office hours

Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Mailing information

Please remember to enclose all necessary documents and fees with your completed application. Incomplete submissions will result in a delay in your licensure.

It is important that you contact our office, in writing, with any changes in address.

Regulatory questions

Employment Security Department
Phone: 1-855-829-9243

See also: