WA State Licensing: Nursery Retailer/Wholesaler

Nursery Dealer retailer/wholesaler

A nursery dealer (retailer/wholesaler) endorsement is required for businesses that:

  • Sell or hold live plants or turf for planting, propagation, or floral display.
  • Perform landscaping or lawn maintenance which includes planting or installing new plants or turf.
  • Grow, handle, ship, install or sell plants or turf including landscapers and plant brokers.

Businesses propagating and selling fruit trees and related species must also pay an annual assessment fee on sales. For more information, contact the Plant Services Program at (360) 902-1874.


A nursery dealer endorsement isn’t required for:

  • Persons producing only marijuana (Cannabis) and who are registered marijuana producers under RCW 69.50.325.
  • Persons selling less than $100 of plants per year, or only selling cut flowers/cut branches.

Post your license

A Business License must be posted at each business location. You may not begin this business activity until you receive your license with the required endorsement(s).

How to apply

Apply by using one of the following options:


  • File online with My DOR. My DOR works best with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
    1. Login using your Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID. If you don't have a user ID or aren't sure, see if you have an account first before signing up.
    2. Click Get Started on the Business Licensing and Tax service.
    3. Follow the steps below based on your business status.
  • If you do not have an existing business

      1. Click File New Business License Application. Be sure to select the endorsements for which you wish to apply.

    If you have an existing business

      1. If you haven't already, add access to your business. You'll need a UBI number and a letter ID.
      2. Click on the business you want to apply for a license/endorsement under, then click on the location.
      3. Click File New Business License Application.

    You can pay using an E-check or a major credit card (gift cards can't be used).

    Find more help for using My DOR, including video tutorials.


  • By mail
    • Complete all of the following forms:
    • Mail your completed application and addendum with a check or money order payable to “Department of Revenue” for the fees to:

      State of Washington
      Business Licensing Service
      PO Box 9034
      Olympia, WA 98507-9034


Choose either a wholesaler or retailer endorsement based on what you believe will be your primary source of income, then estimate your total nursery sales for the calendar year. Determine the fee due based on your endorsement type and sales estimate.

Specialty endorsement Fee
Nursery retailer: $100–$2,499 gross sales $63 per location
Nursery retailer: $2,500–$14,999 gross sales $138 per location
Nursery retailer: $15,000 and over gross sales $273.60 per location
Nursery wholesaler: $100–$14,999 gross sales $138 per location
Nursery wholesaler: $15,000 and over gross sales $273.60 per location
Other fees that may apply Fee
Registering your business name as a trade name $5
Business License Application $19 (non-refundable)

Regulatory questions

Department of Agriculture
Phone: (360) 902-2062