City of Sumner license
Who needs a license?
The city of Sumner requires all businesses to be licensed with the city if they are:
- Located within city limits, or
- Conducting business within city limits.
Call the city at (253) 863-8300 before applying if you do not know if you will do business within the city limits.
Nonprofit businesses must be licensed. A no-fee business license is available for businesses that have been granted a 501(C) tax exemption by the IRS.
Under what circumstances is a business license denied?
A license may be denied to a business for any of the following reasons:
- If the application is incomplete or if it contains any material misrepresentation.
- If the application does not propose adequate measures for the protection of public health, safety, and welfare in terms of pedestrian and vehicular traffic control, security, avoidance of public nuisances, and avoidance of consumer fraud.
The license for a business operating in this city, but based outside this city, is determined by gross annual income earned within this city’s limits:
|Reported gross annual income
|$0 through $2,000
||No license required
|Sumner general business license
|Sumner nonprofit business license*
|Other fees that may apply
|State tax registration
|Registering your business name as trade name
| Business License Application fee
*No-fee nonprofit license requires that you provide proof of 501(C) tax exemption from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
How to apply
Apply by using one of the following options:
- Click File New Business License Application. Be sure to select the endorsements for which you wish to apply.
If you have an existing business
- If you haven’t already, add access to your business. You’ll need a UBI number and letter ID.
- Click on the business you want to apply for a license/endorsement under, then click on the location.
- Click File New Business License Application.
You can pay using an E-check or a major credit card (gift cards can’t be used).
Find more help for using My DOR, including video tutorials.
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
City of Sumner
1104 Maple St
Sumner, WA 98390