City of Kennewick registration
Who needs a license?
The city of Kennewick requires all businesses to be licensed with the city if they are:
- Located within city limits, or
- Conducting business within city limits.
Check the city's Geographic Information System (GIS) or call the city at (509) 585-4268 before applying if you are not sure if you will do business within city limits.
You must complete a separate registration for each business conducted.
- Organizations certified as exempt from federal income tax under IRS code 501 (c)(3), (4), or (5) such as:
- Accredited public or private schools, colleges, or universities
- Religious bodies, recognized churches, fraternal organizations and lodges
- Civic and charitable organizations, including nonprofit hospitals and clinics.
- Transitory businesses such as traveling shows, entertainers, circuses, etc.
- Small businesses that gross less than $12,000 per year
Home operated businesses
A home-based business must meet certain criteria required in the Kennewick Municipal Code 18.42.090.
Submitting an application for a city of Kennewick Home Occupation Business License certifies that you have read and agree to comply with the home occupation requirements on page 2 of the Kennewick Requirements and Fee Sheet.
The license for a business operating in this city, but based outside this city, is determined by gross annual income earned within this city’s limits and number of employees (FTEs):
|Reported gross annual income
|$0 through $12,000
||No license required
See Requirements and Fee Calculation Instructions
|Kennewick general business license
|Kennewick employee fee
||$5 per FTE
|Other fees that may apply
|State tax registration
|Registering your business name as trade name
| Business License Application fee
Important Notice: If you are no longer doing business in Kennewick, please cancel your city of Kennewick endorsement. The city of Kennewick endorsements are not transferrable to other cities and, if renewed in error, the city will not issue refunds.
How to apply
Apply by using one of the following options:
- Online with My DOR. My DOR works best with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
- Login using your Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID. If you don’t have a user ID or aren’t sure, see if you have an account first before signing up.
- Click Getting Started on the Business Licensing and Tax service.
- Follow the steps below based on your business status.
If you do not have an existing business
- Click File New Business License Application. Be sure to select the endorsements for which you wish to apply.
If you have an existing business
- If you haven’t already, add access to your business. You’ll need a UBI number and letter ID.
- Click on the business you want to apply for a license/endorsement under, then click on the location.
- Click File New Business License Application.
You can pay using an E-check or a major credit card (gift cards can’t be used).
Find more help for using My DOR, including video tutorials.
- Mail us the appropriate fee with the following completed forms:
Please remember to enclose all necessary documents and fees with your completed application. Incomplete submissions will result in a delay in your license.
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
Fax: (360) 705-6699
Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
City of Kennewick
210 W 6th Ave
Kennewick, WA 99336
Phone: (509) 585-4268
Fax: (509) 585-4445