To register a trade name or make changes to an existing trade name, you must:
- Submit a new Business License Application.
- Pay the appropriate fees. In addition to the $19 Business License Application processing fee (non-refundable), there is a $5 fee for each name registered.
Find if a trade name is available
Search in the following locations to make sure the name you have chosen isn’t already taken:
- Search business licenses. If your search result is “No matches were found for your search,” try spelling the name differently or leave out abbreviations or punctuation such as Inc, LLC, etc.
- Secretary of State Corporations Registration Data Search — Corporation and limited liability company names.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Commission — Search for federally registered names.
How to register a trade name
File online with My DOR.
Learn how to:
- Complete the Business License Application and any supplemental forms that apply to your business. To find out which supplemental forms you’ll need, see the Business Licensing Wizard.
- Mail your completed application, supplemental forms, and a check or money order for applicable fees to the address on the form.
Cancelling your trade name:
A trade name will remain registered indefinitely until the owner requests that it be canceled. If you are no longer using a trade name and wish to have it removed from your license:
Learn how to:
- Email or fax a letter to the Business Licensing Service requesting the cancellation of the trade name(s) to:
- Use the Business Information Change form. Be sure to note your Unified Business Identifier number (UBI), sign and date your request. There is no charge for canceling a trade name.