WA State Licensing: Add or change trade names

Trade Names

To register a trade name or make changes to an existing trade name, you must:

  • Submit a new Business License Application.
  • Pay the appropriate fees. In addition to the $19 Business License Application processing fee (non-refundable), there is a $5 fee for each name registered.

Find if a trade name is available

Search in the following locations to make sure the name you have chosen isn’t already taken:

  1. Search business licenses. If your search result is “No matches were found for your search,” try spelling the name differently or leave out abbreviations or punctuation such as Inc, LLC, etc.
    • To request a search by mail, send a letter with your return address and a list of the names you want to research to:
      State of Washington
      Business Licensing Service
      PO Box 9034
      Olympia, WA 98507-9034
  2. Secretary of State Corporations Registration Data Search — Corporation and limited liability company names.
  3. U.S. Patent and Trademark Commission — Search for federally registered names.

How to register a trade name

File online with My DOR

My DOR works best with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.


  1. Login using your Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID. If you don't have a user ID or aren't sure, see if you have an account first before signing up.
  2. Click Getting Started on the Business Licensing and Tax service.
  3. Follow the steps below based on your business status.

    If you do not have an existing business

    1. Click File New Business License Application. Be sure to select the endorsements for which you wish to apply.

If you have an existing business

    1. If you haven't already, add access to your business. You'll need a UBI number and a letter ID.
    2. Click on the business you want to apply for a license/endorsement under, then click on the location.
    3. Click File New Business License Application.

You can pay using an E-check or a major credit card (gift cards can't be used).

Find more help for using My DOR, including video tutorials.



  1. Complete the Business License Application and any supplemental forms that apply to your business. To find out which supplemental forms you’ll need, see the Business Licensing Wizard.
  2. Mail your completed application, supplemental forms, and a check or money order for applicable fees to the address on the form.

Cancelling your trade name:

A trade name will remain registered indefinitely until the owner requests that it be canceled. If you are no longer using a trade name and wish to have it removed from your license:

  • Email or fax a letter to the Business Licensing Service requesting the cancellation of the trade name(s) to:

    Fax: 360-705-6699
  • Or

  • Use the Business Information Change form. Be sure to note your Unified Business Identifier number (UBI), sign and date your request. There is no charge for canceling a trade name.