Weighing and measuring devices
A weighing and measuring device endorsement is required for businesses where any of the following devices are used to determine the charges for a product or service on the basis of weight or measure.
Post your license
A license must be posted at each location where the licensee operates. You may not begin this business activity until you receive a Business License listing the required endorsement(s).
How to apply
Apply by using one of the following options:
- File online with My DOR. My DOR works best with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
- Login using your Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID. If you don't have a user ID or aren't sure, see if you have an account first before signing up.
- Click Get Started on the Business Licensing and Tax service.
- Follow the steps below based on your business status.
If you do not have an existing business
- Click File New Business License Application. Be sure to select the endorsements for which you wish to apply.
If you have an existing business
- If you haven't already, add access to your business. You'll need a UBI number and a letter ID.
- Click on the business you want to apply for a license/endorsement under, then click on the location.
- Click File New Business License Application.
You can pay using an E-check or a major credit card (gift cards can't be used).
Find more help for using My DOR, including video tutorials.
- Complete the following:
- Mail your completed forms with a check or money order payable to “Department of Revenue” for the fees to:
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
(Fees shown for each individual device.)
|Small: 0–400 lbs.
|Intermediate: 401–5,000 lbs.
|Large: More than 5,000 lbs.
|Motor fuel meters
|Low: 20 gallons or less per minute
|Intermediate: More than 20 and less than 151 gallons per minute.
|High: More than 150 gallons per minute
|LP gas meters
|Small: Dispenser diameter of 1 inch or smaller
|Large: Dispenser diameter greater than 1 inch
|Fabric meter (for bolt cloth and similar material)
|Cordage meter (for ropes, cables, and similar material)
|Mass flow meter (calculates mass of product flowing through meter)
|Taxi meter (used in a vehicle for hire)
|Other fees that may apply
|Registering your business name as trade name
| Business License Application fee
Department of Agriculture