A Vessel Dealer endorsement is required for each business location unless you sell human-powered watercraft that is:
- Under 16 feet in length.
- Unable to be powered by a motor or the wind.
- Not designed for use on commonly-used navigable waters.
Business site requirements
Your business site must:
- Comply with all applicable building codes, zoning, and other land-use ordinances. For more information, please contact your city or county directly.
- Be located in an office in an enclosed building where you can conduct business and maintain records.
- Be identified by an exterior sign with the business name and the type of business, such as marine sales.
- $5,000 surety bond for each business location. NOTE: If you sell 15 or fewer vessels per year with a retail value of no more than $2,000, you do not need a surety bond.
Post your license
A license must be posted at each location where the licensee operates. You may not begin this business activity until you receive a Business License listing the required endorsement(s).
How to apply
Apply by using one of the following options:
- Online with My DOR. My DOR works best with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
- Login using your Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID. If you don’t have a user ID or aren’t sure, see if you have an account first before signing up.
- Once logged in, add My DOR to your list of services, then open My DOR.
- Follow the steps below based on your business status.
If you do not have an existing business
- Click File Business License Application. Be sure to select the endorsements for which you wish to apply.
If you have an existing business
- If you haven’t already, add access to your business. You’ll need a UBI number and letter ID.
- Click on the business you want to apply for a license/endorsement under, then click on the location.
- Click Add License Endorsements/Employees.
You can pay using an E–check or a major credit card (gift cards can’t be used).
Find more help for using My DOR, including video tutorials.
Mail your completed forms with a check or money order payable to “Department of Revenue” for the fees to:
- Complete the following
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
|Plate, decal, and certificate fees
|First vessel dealer decal and certificate
|Additional vessel dealer decals and certificates
|Other fees that may apply
|Registering your business name as a trade name
|Business License Application
Department of Licensing