A Motor Vehicle Sub-agency endorsement is required for each additional business location after the first, primary motor vehicle dealer business has been endorsed.
Business site requirements
Your business site must:
- Comply with all applicable building codes, zoning, and other land-use ordinances. For more information, please contact your city or county directly.
- Be located at a commercial property with an enclosed building.
- Have a permanent sign with the business name and the type of business (such as Auto Sales).
- Have an operating telecommunications system and a phone number listed in directory assistance.
- Be open from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., five days per week. These hours are referred to as “normal business hours.” Additional hours and days of operation may be added at your discretion. You must prominently post the hours of operation at the main entrance doors.
- Have an area to maintain books, records, and files at the business site. If two or more vehicle dealer businesses share a location, all records, office facilities, and inventory must be physically separated and clearly identified.
- $30,000 bond. Bonds are available through many insurance companies. We recommend you research the cost of your bond before you apply for an endorsement.
- Copy of your property tax statement, or the rental/lease agreement for the business site, as proof of ownership. The rental/lease agreement must be valid for at least one year.
All retail vehicle dealers are required to use the E–Permitting system. Find out more about E–Permitting.
Post your license
A license must be posted at each location where the licensee operates. You may not begin this business activity until you receive a Business License listing the required endorsement(s).
After you receive your license
- You'll need a contract with us if you want to search vehicle registration information.
How to apply
Apply by using one of the following options:
- Online with My DOR. My DOR works best with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
- Login using your Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID. If you don’t have a user ID or aren’t sure, see if you have an account first before signing up.
- Once logged in, add My DOR to your list of services, then open My DOR.
- Follow the steps below based on your business status.
If you do not have an existing business
- Click File Business License Application. Be sure to select the endorsements for which you wish to apply.
If you have an existing business
- If you haven’t already, add access to your business. You’ll need a UBI number and letter ID.
- Click on the business you want to apply for a license/endorsement under, then click on the location.
- Click Add License Endorsements/Employees.
You can pay using an E–check or a major credit card (gift cards can’t be used).
Find more help for using My DOR, including video tutorials.
Mail your completed forms with a check or money order payable to “Department of Revenue” for the fees to:
- Complete the following
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
|Motor vehicle dealer
|Motor vehicle sub-agency
|Motor vehicle wholesaler
|Manufactured home/travel trailer dealer
|Manufactured home/travel trailer sub-agency
|Off-road vehicle dealer
|Miscellaneous vehicle dealer
|Miscellaneous vehicle sub-agency
|Plate, decal, and certificate fees
|Dealer plate—motor vehicles, manufactured homes, travel trailers, and miscellaneous vehicles (except motorcycles)
|Dealer plate—miscellaneous vehicles (motorcycles)
|Dealer plate—off-road vehicles and snowmobiles
|First vessel dealer decal and certificate
|Additional vessel dealer decals and certificates
|Other fees that may apply
|Registering your business name as a trade name
|Business License Application
To obtain Temporary Vehicle Dealer Sub-agency permits, contact Dealer Services at 360-664-6466.
Department of Licensing