A Motor Vehicle Sub-agency endorsement is required for each additional business location after the first, primary motor vehicle dealer business has been endorsed.
Business site requirements
Your business site must:
- Comply with all applicable building codes, zoning, and other land-use ordinances. For more information, please contact your city or county directly.
- Be located at a commercial property with an enclosed building.
- Have a permanent sign with the business name and the type of business (such as Auto Sales).
- Have an operating telecommunications system and a phone number listed in directory assistance.
- Be open from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., five days per week. These hours are referred to as “normal business hours.” Additional hours and days of operation may be added at your discretion. You must prominently post the hours of operation at the main entrance doors.
- Have an area to maintain books, records, and files at the business site. If two or more vehicle dealer businesses share a location, all records, office facilities, and inventory must be physically separated and clearly identified.
- $30,000 bond. Bonds are available through many insurance companies. We recommend you research the cost of your bond before you apply for an endorsement.
- Copy of your property tax statement, or the rental/lease agreement for the business site, as proof of ownership. The rental/lease agreement must be valid for at least one year.
Post your license
A license must be posted at each location where the licensee operates. You may not begin this business activity until you receive a Business License listing the required endorsement(s).
How to apply
Complete a Business License Application online and pay with E-check or a MasterCard, Visa, Discover or American Express credit or debit card (gift cards cannot be used). Note: The credit/debit card option is provided to you by a private, non-state vendor that will impose a 2.5% convenience fee for the service.
Mail your completed forms with a check or money order payable to “Department of Revenue” for the fees to:
- Complete the following
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
|Motor vehicle dealer
|Motor vehicle sub-agency
|Motor vehicle wholesaler
|Manufactured home/travel trailer dealer
|Manufactured home/travel trailer sub-agency
|Off-road vehicle dealer
|Miscellaneous vehicle dealer
|Miscellaneous vehicle sub-agency
|Plate, decal, and certificate fees
|Dealer plate—motor vehicles, manufactured homes, travel trailers, and miscellaneous vehicles
|Dealer plate—off-road vehicles and snowmobiles
|First vessel dealer decal and certificate
|Additional vessel dealer decals and certificates
|Other fees that may apply
|Registering your business name as a trade name
|Business License Application
To obtain Temporary Vehicle Dealer Sub-agency permits, contact Dealer Services at 360-664-6466.
Department of Licensing