WA State Licensing: Wrecker


A Wrecker endorsement is required if your business buys or sells:

  • wrecked titled or registered motor vehicles for the purpose of dismantling them.
  • second-hand motor vehicle parts.

License plate requirements

You will need a wrecker license plate for each vehicle used to conduct business.

Post your license

A license must be posted at each location where the licensee operates. You may not begin this business activity until you receive a Business License listing the required endorsement(s).

After you get your license

  • You'll need a contract with the Department of Licensing to search vehicle registration information.
  • On the 10th of each month, you must report to the Department of Licensing all the vehicles acquired in the previous month.

How to apply

Apply by using one of the following options:


Specialty endorsement Fee
Vehicle Wrecker $25
First Vehicle Wrecker license plate $5 each
Additional Vehicle Wrecker license plates $2 each
Wrecker Branch No Fee
Other fees that may apply Fee
Registering your business name as trade name $5
Business License Application $19 (non-refundable)

Regulatory questions

Department of Licensing
Dealers Division
Phone: 360-664-6466