WA State Licensing: Motor Vehicle Salvage Processor

Motor vehicle salvage processor

A Motor Vehicle Salvage Processer Endorsement is required for businesses that maintain a hydraulic baler and shears or shredder to recycle salvage from wrecked titled or registered vehicles. Each business location must be registered separately.

License plate requirements

  • Each vehicle used to conduct business must have a Motor Vehicle Salvage Processor license plate.
  • Each location must maintain separate license plates for vehicles used at that site.

Post your license

A license must be posted at each location where the licensee operates. You may not begin this business activity until you receive a Business License listing the required endorsement(s).

After you get your license

  • You'll need a contract with the Department of Licensing to search vehicle registration information.
  • On the 10th of each month, you must report to the Department of Licensing all the vehicles acquired in the previous month.

See also


How to apply

Apply by using one of the following options:


Specialty endorsement Fee
Motor Vehicle Salvage Processor $25
First Motor Vehicle Salvage Processor license plate $5 each
Additional Motor Vehicle Salvage Processor license plates $2 each
Other fees that may apply Fee
Registering your business name as trade name $5
Business License Application $19 (non-refundable)

Regulatory questions
Department of Licensing
Dealers Division
Phone: 360-664-6466