Vehicles for hire (Taxis)
A Vehicle for Hire (Taxi’s) endorsement is required for any business that transports passengers for a fee in for-hire vehicles , including:
- Taxicabs, which are motor vehicles that transport people for a fee and do not have a fixed route or fixed starting and ending points.
- Cabulances that transport riders confined to a wheelchair or otherwise physically restricted so they cannot be safely transported by public mass transportation, taxicabs, or automobiles. Riders transported by cabulance must:
- Be stable.
- Not be incapacitated from medications.
- Not need oxygen or medical attention en route.
- Any other vehicles used for transporting passengers for payment.
Businesses that operate the following types of vehicles do not need a For Hire endorsement:
- Auto stages.
- School buses operating exclusively under a contract to a school district.
- Ride-sharing vehicles (RCW 46.74).
- Licensed limousine carriers (RCW 46.72A).
- Vehicles used by nonprofit organizations to transport the elderly or handicapped and their attendants (RCW 81.66).
- Vehicles used by auto transportation companies (RCW 81.68).
- Vehicles used to provide courtesy transportation at no charge to and from parking lots, hotels, and rental offices.
- Vehicles licensed as excursion service carriers and charter carriers of passengers (RCW 81.70).
- The owner name and firm/trade name must be the same on the Business License Application, Vehicle Registration Certificate, and Insurance.
- The Use Class on the Vehicle Registration Certificate must be “F/H” or “CAB”.
- Insurance information must:
- Include your policy number.
- Have policy effective and expiration dates that show current coverage.
- Display the name of the insurance company.
- Show minimum combined single limit coverage of $325,000 or split limit coverage of $300,000/$100,000/$25,000.
- Show year, make and complete VIN number of each car, which must match vehicle registration certificate.
- List the certificate of holder as - State of Washington, Department of Licensing, PO Box 9039, Olympia, WA 98507-9039.
Post your license
A license must be posted at each location where the licensee operates. You may not begin this business activity until you receive a Business License listing the required endorsement.
How to apply
Apply by using one of the following options:
- Click File New Business License Application. Be sure to select the endorsements for which you wish to apply.
If you have an existing business
- If you haven't already, add access to your business. You'll need a UBI number and a letter ID.
- Click on the business you want to apply for a license/endorsement under, then click on the location.
- Click File New Business License Application.
You can pay using an E-check or a major credit card (gift cards can't be used).
Find more help for using My DOR, including video tutorials.
- Complete the following:
- Gather the following documentation:
- Copy of the vehicle registration for each vehicle
- Certificate of Insurance
- Mail your completed forms with a check or money order payable to “Department of Revenue” for the fees to:
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
|For hire permit
(Required only if your city or county doesn’t endorse for-hire businesses.)
|For-hire vehicle certificate
||$55 per vehicle
||$25 per meter
|Other fees that may apply
|Registering your business name as a trade name
| Business License Application
Department of Licensing