A Shopkeeper License is required for businesses (except licensed pharmacies) that sell any nonprescription drugs. These drugs must be in the original manufacturer’s packaging.
Sellers of cold and allergy medicine
State law requires retailers who sell over the counter cold and allergy medicine containing ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, or phenylpropanolamine to report their sales to the National Precursor Log Exchange (NPLEx). After you have registered your business by completing the Business License Application, please set up an account to report your sales of cold and allergy medicine by completing the NPLEx registration. If you have questions, contact the Pharmacy Quality Assurance Commission's business office at (360) 236-4834.
Post your license
A license must be posted at each location where the licensee operates. You may not begin this business activity until you receive a Business License listing the required license.
How to apply
Apply by using one of the following options:
- Online with My DOR. My DOR works best with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
- Login using your Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID. If you don’t have a user ID or aren’t sure, see if you have an account first before signing up.
- Once logged in, add My DOR to your list of services, then open My DOR.
- Follow the steps below based on your business status.
If you do not have an existing business
- Click File Business License Application. Be sure to select the endorsements for which you wish to apply.
If you have an existing business
- If you haven’t already, add access to your business. You’ll need a UBI number and letter ID.
- Click on the business you want to apply for a license/endorsement under, then click on the location.
- Click Add License Endorsements/Employees.
You can pay using an E–check or a major credit card (gift cards can’t be used).
Find more help for using My DOR, including video tutorials.
- Complete a Business License Application.
- Mail your completed application with a check or money order payable to “Department of Revenue” for the fees to:
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
||$40 per location
|Other fees that may apply
|Registering your business name as a trade name
| Business License Application fee
Department of Health
Phone: (360) 236-4700