A Shopkeeper License is required for businesses (except licensed pharmacies) that sell any nonprescription drugs. These drugs must be in the original manufacturer’s packaging.
Additional information/documents are required for sellers of cold, allergy, and cough medicines.
Please note, a registered shopkeeper may sell from vending machines over-the-counter medications that have no sales restrictions. However, medications that are subject to any restriction on their sale e.g. age, quantity, or sales transaction tracking requirement, are not to be sold from a vending machine.
If you have questions, contact the Pharmacy Quality Assurance Commission's business office at (360) 236-4834.
Post your license
A license must be posted at each location where the licensee operates.
How to apply
Apply by using one of the following options:
File online with My DOR. My DOR works best with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
- Login using your Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID. If you don't have a user ID or aren't sure, see if you have an account first before signing up.
- Click Get Started on the Business Licensing and Tax service.
- Follow the steps below based on your business status.
If you do not have an existing business
- Click File New Business License Application. Be sure to select the endorsements for which you wish to apply.
If you have an existing business
- If you haven't already, add access to your business. You'll need a UBI number and a letter ID.
- Click on the business you want to apply for a license/endorsement under, then click on the location.
- Click File New Business License Application.
You can pay using an E-check or a major credit card (gift cards can't be used).
Find more help for using My DOR, including video tutorials.
- Complete a Business License Application.
- Mail your completed application with a check or money order payable to “Department of Revenue” for the fees to:
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
||$55 per location
|Other fees that may apply
|Registering your business name as a trade name
| Business License Application fee
Department of Health
Phone: (360) 236-4700