Scrap Metal Business
A Scrap Metal endorsement is required if your business deals in scrap metal as a:
- Scrap metal processor: You process scrap metal at a fixed location.
- Scrap metal recycler: You have a fixed business location where you collect scrap metal for sale to other businesses.
- Scrap metal supplier: You don't have a fixed business location and collect scrap metal for sale to a recycler or processor.
Note: These licenses do not allow handling scrap metal from titled motor vehicles. If your business handles motor vehicle scrap please see the information on the Vehicle Transport and Disposal page.
License plate requirements
You will need a scrap metal license plate for each vehicle used to conduct business.
Post your license
A license must be posted at each location where the licensee operates. You may not begin this business activity until you receive a Business License listing the required endorsement(s).
How to apply
Apply by using one of the following options:
File online with My DOR. My DOR works best with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
- Login using your Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID. If you don't have a user ID or aren't sure, see if you have an account first before signing up.
- Click Get Started on the Business Licensing and Tax service.
- Follow the steps below based on your business status.
If you do not have an existing business
- Click File New Business License Application. Be sure to select the endorsements for which you wish to apply.
If you have an existing business
- If you haven't already, add access to your business. You'll need a UBI number and a letter ID.
- Click on the business you want to apply for a license/endorsement under, then click on the location.
- Click File New Business License Application.
You can pay using an E-check or a major credit card (gift cards can't be used).
Find more help for using My DOR, including video tutorials.
Mail your completed forms with a check or money order payable to “Department of Revenue” for the fees to:
- Complete the following:
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
|Scrap Metal Processor License
|First Scrap Metal Processor license plate
|Additional Scrap Metal Processor license plates
|Scrap Metal Recycler fees
|Scrap Metal Recycler License
|First Scrap Metal Recycler license plate
| Additional Scrap Metal Recycler license plates
|Scrap Metal Supplier fees
|Scrap Metal Supplier License
|First Scrap Metal Supplier license plate
| Additional Scrap Metal Supplier license plates
|Other fees that may apply
|Registering your business name as a trade name
| Business License Application fee
Department of Licensing
Scrap Metal Program