Plan your business
Before starting your business, be prepared to answer the following questions:
- What type of business would you like to open?
- What types of activities will you be performing?
- When do you plan to start your business?
- Where will your business be located?
- What business structure type will you have?
For more information, see Types of business structures.
- What do you plan to call your business?
Make sure that the name you have chosen isn’t already taken. Search in the following locations:
- Business Lookup. If your search result is “No matches were found for your search,” try spelling the name differently or leave out abbreviations or punctuation such as Inc, LLC, etc.
- Secretary of State Corporations Registration Data Search — Corporation and limited liability company names.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Commission — Search for federally registered names.
Additional resources for planning a business