Armed private investigator
An Armed Private investigator endorsement is required for anyone who carries a firearm while on duty working for a licensed private investigator agency that:
- Provides investigation, escort, or bodyguard services.
- Performs property losss prevention activities.
To be endorsed as an armed private investigator, you must:
- Be endorsed as an unarmed private investigator or agency principal.
- Be at least 21 years old.
- Have a current firearms certificate issued by the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission (WSCJTC). For a list of firearm instructors, visit the WSCJTC website.
Post your license
A license must be posted at each location where the licensee operates. You may not begin this business activity until you receive a Business License listing the required endorsement(s).
How to apply
Apply by using one of the following options:
File online with My DOR. My DOR works best with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
- Login using your Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID. If you don't have a user ID or aren't sure, see if you have an account first before signing up.
- Click Get Started on the Business Licensing and Tax service.
- Follow the steps below based on your business status.
If you do not have an existing business
- Click File New Business License Application. Be sure to select the endorsements for which you wish to apply.
If you have an existing business
- If you haven't already, add access to your business. You'll need a UBI number and a letter ID.
- Click on the business you want to apply for a license/endorsement under, then click on the location.
- Click File New Business License Application.
You can pay using an E-check or a major credit card (gift cards can't be used).
Find more help for using My DOR, including video tutorials.
Get fingerprinted for state and national background checks.
- Complete the following
Mail your completed forms with a check or money order payable to “Department of Revenue” for the fees to:
- Inside Washington: Go to www.identogo.com to schedule an appointment through MorphoTrust, our electronic fingerprinting vendor. You will pay IdentoGO for taking your fingerprints and for the background checks required for your license type.
- Outside Washington: Call the Security Guard program at 360.664.6611 for fingerprint card submission instructions.
- For more details, see Fingerprinting and background checks.
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
U.S. Veterans may be eligible for partial reimbursements of costs. For more information: Education and Training | Licensing and Certification.
|Armed Private Investigator (in addition to Unarmed Private Investigator fee)
|Other fees that may apply
|Registering your business name as trade name
| Business License Application
Department of Licensing