WA State Licensing: Limousines


You must have a limousine endorsement to transport passengers on a prearranged, contract basis to a specific destination or for a particular itinerary, in any of the following types of vehicles:

  • Stretch limousine: An automobile with a seating capacity of 4–14 passengers in the rear seating area and a maximum wheelbase of 285 inches.
  • Executive sedan: A four-door sedan with a seating capacity of no more than 3 passengers behind the driver, and a minimum wheelbase of 114.5 inches or meets the federal large car (www.ecfr.gov) definition and has manufacturer’s suggested retail price greater than $35,000.
  • Executive van: A van, minivan, or minibus having a seating capacity of 7–14 passengers behind the driver.
  • Classic car: A fine or distinctive automobile that is 30 years old or older.
  • Executive sport utility vehicle: A sport utility vehicle with a seating capacity behind the driver of 3–6 passengers and a minimum wheelbase of 116 inches.
  • Stretch sport utility vehicle: A sport utility vehicle with a seating capacity behind the driver of 4–14 passengers and a maximum wheelbase of 325 inches that has been factory altered beyond the original manufacturer’s specifications.

Note: All limousines must be chauffeur-driven, unmetered, and unmarked luxury vehicles.


Limousine carriers

When applying for a Limousine Carrier endorsement, make sure that:

  • the same owner name is on the Business License Application, Vehicle Registration Certificate, and Insurance Certificate.
  • the Vehicle Registration Certificate for all vehicles to be used for your business show a Use Class of “F/H.”
  • the Certificate of Insurance:
    • Includes your policy number.
    • Has policy effective and expiration dates that show current coverage.
    • Displays the name of the insurance company.
    • Shows minimum combined single limit coverage of $1,050,000.
    • Shows the year, make and complete VIN number of each car, which must match vehicle registration certificates.
    • Lists the certificate holder as State of Washington, Department of Licensing, PO Box 9027, Olympia, WA 98507-9027.
  • Note: More licensing information can be found in the Business Bulletin Obtaining Your Limousine Carrier License and Vehicle Certificates.


A limousine carrier must keep on file and make available for inspection proof that each chauffeur:

  • Is at least 21 years of age.
  • Holds a valid Washington State Driver License,
  • Has passed an initial test and is participating in a random drug testing program,
  • Has a satisfactory driving record,
  • Completed and passed the 4 (or more) hour National Safety Council Defensive (NSCDD) course,
  • Has results of a background check of the chauffeur performed by the Washington State Patrol,
  • Has a medical certificate certifying the individual's fitness to be a chauffeur. A new exam and medical certificate is required every 2 years.

Post your license

A license must be posted at each location where the licensee operates. You may not begin this business activity until you receive a Business License listing the required endorsement(s).

Vehicle certificates and decals

Change a vehicle certificate

To make any changes to a vehicle certificate, submit the requested change in writing, along with a $20 fee per vehicle (check or money order payable to “Department of Revenue”), to:

  • Business Licensing Service
    PO Box 9034
    Olympia, WA 98507-9034

Replace a lost or destroyed vehicle certificate

To replace a lost or destroyed vehicle certificate, contact Business License Service at 360-705-6744.

Advertising rules

Your Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number must be included on any advertisement for your business.

How to apply

Apply by using one of the following options:


Specialty endorsement Fees
Limousine carrier business $350
Vehicle certificate and decal $75 per vehicle
Vehicle inspection report $25 per vehicle, per inspection
Other fees that may apply Fee
Registering your business name as a trade name $5
Business License Application $19 (non-refundable)

Regulatory questions

Department of Licensing
Phone: 360-664-6466
Fax: 360-570-7053