You must have a limousine endorsement to transport passengers on a prearranged, contract basis to a specific destination or for a particular itinerary, in any of the following types of vehicles:
- Stretch limousine: An automobile with a seating capacity of 4–14 passengers in the rear seating area and a maximum wheelbase of 285 inches.
- Executive sedan: A four-door sedan with a seating capacity of no more than 3 passengers behind the driver, and a minimum wheelbase of 114.5 inches or meets the federal large car (www.ecfr.gov) definition and has manufacturer’s suggested retail price greater than $35,000.
- Executive van: A van, minivan, or minibus having a seating capacity of 7–14 passengers behind the driver.
- Classic car: A fine or distinctive automobile that is 30 years old or older.
- Executive sport utility vehicle: A sport utility vehicle with a seating capacity behind the driver of 3–6 passengers and a minimum wheelbase of 116 inches.
- Stretch sport utility vehicle: A sport utility vehicle with a seating capacity behind the driver of 4–14 passengers and a maximum wheelbase of 325 inches that has been factory altered beyond the original manufacturer’s specifications.
Note: All limousines must be chauffeur-driven, unmetered, and unmarked luxury vehicles.
When applying for a Limousine Carrier endorsement, make sure that:
- the same owner name is on the Business License Application, Vehicle Registration Certificate, and Insurance Certificate.
- the Vehicle Registration Certificate for all vehicles to be used for your business show a Use Class of “F/H.”
- the Certificate of Insurance:
- Includes your policy number.
- Has policy effective and expiration dates that show current coverage.
- Displays the name of the insurance company.
- Shows minimum combined single limit coverage of $1,050,000.
- Shows the year, make and complete VIN number of each car, which must match vehicle registration certificates.
- Lists the certificate holder as State of Washington, Department of Licensing, PO Box 9027, Olympia, WA 98507-9027.
- Note: More licensing information can be found in the Business Bulletin Obtaining Your Limousine Carrier License and Vehicle Certificates.
A limousine carrier must keep on file and make available for inspection proof that each chauffeur:
- Is at least 21 years of age.
- Holds a valid Washington State Driver License,
- Has passed an initial test and is participating in a random drug testing program,
- Has a satisfactory driving record,
- Completed and passed the 4 (or more) hour National Safety Council Defensive (NSCDD) course,
- Has results of a background check of the chauffeur performed by the Washington State Patrol,
- Has a medical certificate certifying the individual's fitness to be a chauffeur. A new exam and medical certificate is required every 2 years.
Post your license
A license must be posted at each location where the licensee operates. You may not begin this business activity until you receive a Business License listing the required endorsement(s).
Vehicle certificates and decals
Special Needs Vehicle Certificate
You must have a Special Needs Vehicle Certificate to authorize the use of rented or leased vehicles not owned by your business for less than 30 days. A separate certificate is required for each rented or leased vehicle operated as a limousine.
Change a vehicle certificate
To make any changes to a vehicle certificate, submit the requested change in writing, along with a $20 fee per vehicle (check or money order payable to “Department of Revenue”), to:
- Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
Replace a lost or destroyed vehicle certificate
- To replace a lost or destroyed regular vehicle certificate, contact Business License Service at 360-705-6744.
- If you lose or destroy a special needs certificate, you must reapply for a new one.
Your Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number must be included on any advertisement for your business.
How to apply
Apply by using one of the following options:
- File online with My DOR. My DOR works best with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
- Login using your Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID. If you don't have a user ID or aren't sure, see if you have an account first before signing up.
- Click Get Started on the Business Licensing and Tax service.
- Follow the steps below based on your business status.
If you do not have an existing business
- Click File New Business License Application. Be sure to select the endorsements for which you wish to apply.
If you have an existing business
- If you haven't already, add access to your business. You'll need a UBI number and a letter ID.
- Click on the business you want to apply for a license/endorsement under, then click on the location.
- Click File New Business License Application.
You can pay using an E-check or a major credit card (gift cards can't be used).
Find more help for using My DOR, including video tutorials.
- By mail
- Complete the following
- Mail your completed forms with a check or money order payable to “Department of Revenue” for the fees to:
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
|Limousine carrier business
|Vehicle certificate and decal
||$75 per vehicle
|Vehicle inspection report
||$25 per vehicle, per inspection
|Other fees that may apply
|Registering your business name as a trade name
| Business License Application
Department of Licensing