Apply for a state business license
Who should file, and when?
You must apply for a Washington state business license when you first start your business, or when you change or update your business. You'll need to apply (or re-apply) if you want to:
How to apply
You may apply by using one of the following options:
Online - The fastest way to file! (due to high volumes, we are currently processing applications within 10 business days; paper applications may take 6 weeks.)
File online using our new online system, My DOR. My DOR works with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
To get started:
- Login using your Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID. If you don’t have a user ID or aren’t sure, see if you have an account first before signing up.
- Once logged in, add My DOR to your list of services, then open My DOR.
- If you’re filing an application for a new business, click File Business License Application.
If you’re filing an application for an existing business:
- Add access to your business. You’ll need a renewal letter with your UBI number and letter ID.
- Click on the name of the business that needs attention, then click Add New Business Location. More options are available if you click on the location name.
Paper - (NOTE: Business license applications filed on paper may take up to six weeks to process.)
To file by paper:
- Complete theBusiness License Application and any supplemental forms that apply to your business. To find out which supplemental forms you’ll need, see the Business Licensing Wizard.
- Mail your completed application, supplemental forms, and a check or money order for applicable fees to the address on the form.