Apply for a state business license
To apply for a business license, you must use our new online system, My DOR. You also can use My DOR to apply for state endorsements and some city endorsements.
Who should file, and when?
You must apply for a Washington state business license when you first start your business, or when you change or update your business. You'll need to apply (or re-apply) if you want to:
How to apply
Online - The fastest way to file! (due to high volumes, we are currently processing applications within 10 business days.)
File online using our new online system, My DOR. My DOR works best with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
To get started:
- Login using your Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID. If you don’t have a user ID or aren’t sure, see if you have an account first before signing up.
- Once logged in, add My DOR to your list of services, then open My DOR.
- If you’re filing an application for a new business, click File Business License Application.
If you’re filing an application for an existing business:
- Add access to your business. You’ll need a renewal letter with your UBI number and letter ID.
- Click on the name of the business that needs attention, then click Add New Business Location. More options are available if you click on the location name.
- Complete the Business License Application and any supplemental forms that apply to your business. To find out which supplemental forms you’ll need, see the Business Licensing Wizard.
- Mail your completed application, supplemental forms, and a check or money order for applicable fees to the address on the form.
NOTE: Business license applications filed on paper may take up to six weeks to process.