WA State Licensing: Commercial telephone solicitor

Commercial telephone solicitor

A Commercial Telephone Solicitor Endorsement is required for each location making unsolicited commercial telephone calls and selling goods or products during the call. It is also required for those who offer free prizes by mail and invite a telephone response.


Exclusions from coverage include, but are not limited to:

  • Those soliciting for educational, political, or charitable purposes.
  • Those for whom less than 60% of the prior year’s sales were made by telephone solicitations.
  • Those who sell to businesses who either resell the product or use it for manufacturing.

Post your license

A license must be posted at each location where the licensee operates. You may not begin this business activity until you receive a Business License listing the required endorsement(s).

How to apply

Apply by using one of the following options:

  • File online with My DOR. My DOR works best with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
    1. Login using your Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID. If you don't have a user ID or aren't sure, see if you have an account first before signing up.
    2. Click Get Started on the Business Licensing and Tax service.
    3. Follow the steps below based on your business status.
  • If you do not have an existing business

      1. Click File New Business License Application. Be sure to select the endorsements for which you wish to apply.

    If you have an existing business

      1. If you haven't already, add access to your business. You'll need a UBI number and a letter ID.
      2. Click on the business you want to apply for a license/endorsement under, then click on the location.
      3. Click File New Business License Application.

    You can pay using an E-check or a major credit card (gift cards can't be used).

    Find more help for using My DOR, including video tutorials.

  • By mail
    1. Complete the following
        • Depending on your type of business structure:
          • Sole proprietor—1 for the proprietor.
          • Partnership—1 for each partner.
          • Limited Partnership—1 for the general partner.
          • Corporation—1 for each officer (president, vice president, secretary and treasurer).
          • Limited Liability Company—1 for each member or manager.
    1. Mail your completed forms with a check or money order payable to “Department of Revenue” for the fees to:

      State of Washington
      Business Licensing Service
      PO Box 9034
      Olympia, WA 98507-9034


Specialty endorsement Fee
Commercial Telephone Solicitor $72 per location
Other fees that may apply Fee
Registering your business name as a trade name $5
Business License Application $19 (non-refundable)

Regulatory questions

Department of Licensing
Telephone Solicitors
Phone: 360-664-1389
Fax: 360-571-7053

See also: