City of Yelm license

City of Yelm license

Who needs a license?

The city of Yelm requires all businesses to be licensed, unless exempted from city licensing, if they are:

  • Located within city limits, or
  • Conducting business within city limits.

Call the city at (360) 458-8437 before applying if you are not sure if you will do business within the city limits. 

Businesses exempt from city licensing

Some businesses may be exempt from the city of Yelm business license. For more information, contact the city directly at (360) 458-8437. 

Nonprofit businesses

Nonprofit businesses qualify for the nonprofit license if they submit a copy of the business' IRS 501(c) certificate with their application and are exempt from the city fees. 

Home businesses

A business owner who intends to conduct business from a residence within the city must comply with Yelm Municipal Code 5.02.035

Non-Resident businesses

The license for a business operating in the city, but based outside the city, is determined by gross annual income earned within the city's limits:

Reported Gross Annual Income License Fee
$0 through $2,000 No fee
Above $2,000 $35



City license Fee
Yelm general business license $35
Yelm nonprofit business license No fee
Yelm home occupation business license $35
Yelm general business - non-resident license $35
Other fees that may apply Fee
State tax registration No fee
Registering your business name as trade name $5
Business License Application fee $19 (non-refundable)

How to apply

Apply by using one of the following options:

  • File Online with My DOR. My DOR works best with Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

    1. Log in using your Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID. If you don’t have a user ID or aren’t sure, see if you have an account first before signing up.
    2. Click Getting Started on the Business Licensing and Taxes service page.
    3. Follow the steps below based on your business status.

    If you do not yet have an existing business

      1. Click File New Business License Application. Be sure to select the endorsements for which you wish to apply.


    If you already have an existing business

      1. If you haven’t already, add access to your business. You’ll need a UBI number and letter ID.
      2. Click on the business you want to apply for a license/endorsement under, then click on the location.
      3. Click File New Business License Application.


    You can pay using an E-check or a major credit card (gift cards can't be used).

    Find more help using My DOR, including video tutorials.


  • File by Mail and send us the appropriate fee with the following completed forms:

Contact information

State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034

Phone: 1-800-451-7985
Fax: (360) 705-6699

Office hours

Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Regulatory questions

City of Yelm
105 Yelm Ave
Yelm, WA 98597

City Phone: (360) 458-8437
City Fax: (360) 458-4348