WA State Licensing: Spokane Valley city business license

City of Spokane Valley license

Who needs a license?

The city of Spokane Valley requires all businesses to be licensed with the city if they are:

  • Located within city limits, or
  • Conducting business within city limits.

Call the city at (509) 921-1000 before applying if you do not know if you will do business within the city limits.

If more than one business is located in a single premise, you must complete a separate registration for each business conducted.

Who doesn’t need a license

  • Anyone who delivers newspapers and periodicals.
  • Anyone who solicits orders from retail establishments by telephone, Internet, or mail for the delivery and sale of goods, wares, and merchandise, unless their place of business is located within the city.
  • Minors engaged in babysitting.
  • Anyone engaged in the casual sale of items of personal property (garage sales, service agency bake sales, etc.), as long as the person conducting the sale isn’t regularly engaged in the business of selling items of personal property.
  • Farmers or gardeners selling their own farm products raised and grown exclusively on lands they own or occupy.
  • Providers of Internet or wireless phone services where the provider operates from a location outside the city and the only event occurring within the city is receipt of the services.
  • Temporary craft or food booths lasting 10 days or less in any one location.

Home professions or occupations

The city of Spokane Valley has special regulations and fees for home professions. Please contact the city directly for more information.

Non-Resident businesses

The license for a business operating in this city, but based outside this city, is determined by gross annual income earned within this city’s limits:

Reported gross annual income License fee
$0 through $2,000 No fee
Above $2,000 $13


City license Fee
Spokane Valley general business license $13
Spokane Valley nonprofit business license* $3
Other fees that may apply Fee
State tax registration No fee
Registering your business name as trade name $5
Business License Application fee $19 (non-refundable)

*Businesses qualify for the nonprofit license if they are registered with the Office of the Secretary of State as a nonprofit corporation or submit a copy of the business’ IRS 501(c) certificate with their Business License Application.

How to apply

Apply by using one of the following options:

  • Online with My DOR. My DOR works best with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.

    1. Login using your Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID. If you don’t have a user ID or aren’t sure, see if you have an account first before signing up.
    2. Click Getting Started on the Business Licensing and Tax service.
    3. Follow the steps below based on your business status.

    If you do not have an existing business

      1. Click File New Business License Application. Be sure to select the endorsements for which you wish to apply.

    If you have an existing business

      1. If you haven’t already, add access to your business. You’ll need a UBI number and letter ID.
      2. Click on the business you want to apply for a license/endorsement under, then click on the location.
      3. Click File New Business License Application.

    You can pay using an E-check or a major credit card (gift cards can’t be used).

    Find more help for using My DOR, including video tutorials.

Contact information

State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034


Phone: 1-800-451-7985
Email: BLS@dor.wa.gov
Fax: 360-705-6699

Office hours

Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Regulatory questions

City of Spokane Valley

1107 E Sprague Ave

Spokane Valley, WA 99206

Phone: 509-720-5000