City of Spokane Valley license
Who needs a license?
Spokane Valley requires all businesses to be licensed with the city if they are:
- Located within city limits, or
- Conducting business within city limits.
If you don't know if you do business within city limits, call the city at (509) 921-1000 before applying.
If more than one business is located in a single premise, you must complete a separate registration for each business conducted.
Who doesn’t need a license
- Anyone who delivers newspapers and periodicals.
- Anyone who solicits orders from retail establishments by telephone, Internet, or mail for the delivery and sale of goods, wares, and merchandise, unless their place of business is located within the city.
- Minors engaged in babysitting.
- Anyone engaged in the casual sale of items of personal property (garage sales, service agency bake sales, etc.), as long as the person conducting the sale isn’t regularly engaged in the business of selling items of personal property.
- Farmers or gardeners selling their own farm products raised and grown exclusively on lands they own or occupy.
- Providers of Internet or wireless phone services where the provider operates from a location outside the city and the only event occurring within the city is receipt of the services.
- Temporary craft or food booths lasting 10 days or less in any one location.
Home professions or occupations
The City of Spokane Valley has special regulations and fees for home professions. Please contact the city directly for more information.
How to apply
|Spokane Valley general business license
|Spokane Valley nonprofit business license*
|Other fees that may apply
|State tax registration
|Registering your business name as trade name
| Business License Application fee
*Businesses qualify for the nonprofit license if they are registered with the Office of the Secretary of State as a nonprofit corporation or submit a copy of the business’ IRS 501(c) certificate with their Business License Application.
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Please remember to enclose all necessary documents and fees with your completed application. Incomplete submissions will result in a delay in your licensure.
It is important that you contact our office, in writing, with any changes in address.
City of Spokane Valley