City of Poulsbo license
Who needs a license?
Poulsbo requires all businesses to be licensed with the city if they are:
- Located within city limits, or
- Conducting business within city limits.
If you don't know if you do business within city limits, call the city at (360) 394-9880 before applying.
If more than one business is located in a single premise, you must complete a separate registration for each business conducted.
Exempt business License Criteria **
Call the Planning Department at (360) 394-9748 prior to applying for an Exempt Business License to see if you qualify.
You may qualify for a City of Poulsbo Exempt Business License if you meet all of the requirements listed below:
- Your business is conducted entirely from your home (within Poulsbo city limits).
- You do not meet or provide services to customers/clients at other locations within Poulsbo city limits.
- No customers or employees come to your residence.
- No exterior indicators show a home business is conducted within the dwelling.
- No disturbing impacts or influences are emitted by the home business.
- You will not have more than two deliveries to your residence per day in conjunction with the business.
If you do not meet the requirements listed above and your business is located in your home, please call the Planning Department at (360) 394-9748 to inquire about Home Occupation requirements and additional permits that may be needed. (**Reference PMC 5.04.020 & 18.70.070)
How to apply
Apply by using one of the following options:
- Online with My DOR. My DOR works best with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
- Login using your Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID. If you don’t have a user ID or aren’t sure, see if you have an account first before signing up.
- Once logged in, add My DOR to your list of services, then open My DOR.
- Follow the steps below based on your business status.
If you do not have an existing business
- Click File Business License Application. Be sure to select the endorsements for which you wish to apply.
If you have an existing business
- If you haven’t already, add access to your business. You’ll need a UBI number and letter ID.
- Click on the business you want to apply for a license/endorsement under, then click on the location.
- Click Add License Endorsements/Employees.
You can pay using an E–check or a major credit card (gift cards can’t be used).
Find more help for using My DOR, including video tutorials.
- Mail us the appropriate fee with the following completed forms:
|Poulsbo general business license
|Poulsbo nonprofit business license*
|Other fees that may apply
|State tax registration
|Registering your business name as trade name
| Business License Application fee
*Nonprofit businesses qualify for the nonprofit license if they submit a copy of the business'
IRS 501(c) certificate with their application and are exempt from the city fees.
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
Fax: (360) 705-6699
Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Please remember to enclose all necessary documents and fees with your completed application. Incomplete submissions will result in a delay in your licensure.
It is important that you contact our office, in writing, with any changes in address.
City of Poulsbo
200 NE Moe St
Poulsbo, WA 98370