City of Olympia license
Who needs a license?
The city of Olympia requires all businesses to be licensed with the city if they are:
- Located within city limits, or
- Conducting business within city limits.
Call the city at (360) 753-8327 before applying if you are not sure if you will do business within the city limits.
If more than one business is located in a single premise, you must complete a separate registration for each business conducted.
Before a business license is issued, a business owner who intends to conduct business from a residence within the city must provide proof of residency within the city and sign an acknowledgement of compliance with the Home Occupation Standards listed in Olympia Municipal Code 18.04.060.
City of Olympia Ordinance 6851 imposes a moratorium prohibiting the licensing and permitting of new collective gardens as defined in state law (Chapter 69.51a RCW). The moratorium also prohibits the licensing and permitting of all other marijuana-related business activities and land use.
The license for a business operating in this city, but based outside this city, is determined by gross annual income earned within this city’s limits:
|Reported gross annual income
|$0 through $2,000
|Olympia general business license (new)
|Olympia general business license renewal
|Olympia nonprofit business license*
|Other fees that may apply
|State tax registration
|Registering your business name as trade name
| Business License Application fee
*Businesses qualify for the nonprofit license if they are registered with the Office of the Secretary of State as a nonprofit corporation.
How to apply
Apply by using one of the following options:
- Online with My DOR. My DOR works best with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
- Login using your Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID. If you don’t have a user ID or aren’t sure, see if you have an account first before signing up.
- Click Getting Started on the Business Licensing and Tax service.
- Follow the steps below based on your business status.
If you do not have an existing business
- Click File New Business License Application. Be sure to select the endorsements for which you wish to apply.
If you have an existing business
- If you haven’t already, add access to your business. You’ll need a UBI number and letter ID.
- Click on the business you want to apply for a license/endorsement under, then click on the location.
- Click File New Business License Application.
You can pay using an E-check or a major credit card (gift cards can’t be used).
Find more help for using My DOR, including video tutorials.
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
City of Olympia
601 4th Ave E
Olympia, WA 98501