City of Lakewood license
Who needs a license?
Lakewood requires all businesses to be licensed with the city if they are:
- Located within city limits, or
- Conducting business within city limits.
Call the city of Lakewood at (253) 589-2489 before applying if you are not sure if you will do business within the city limits.
If you will have more than one business located on a single property, you must complete a separate application for each business.
Businesses exempt from city licensing
Some businesses may be exempt from the Lakewood business license. For more information, contact the city directly at (253) 589-2489.
Nonprofit businesses qualify for the nonprofit license if they submit a copy of the business' IRS 501(c) certificate with their application and are exempt from the city fees.
A business owner who intends to conduct business from a residence within the city must comply with Lakewood Municipal Code LMC 18A.70.250.
For more information on home occupation requirements, contact the city directly at (253) 589-2489.
|Lakewood general business license
|Lakewood nonprofit business license
|Lakewood home occupation business license
|Lakewood general business - non-resident license
|Other fees that may apply
|State tax registration
|Registering your business name as trade name
| Business License Application fee
How to apply
Apply by using one of the following options:
- Online with My DOR. My DOR works best with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
- Login using your Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID. If you don’t have a user ID or aren’t sure, see if you have an account first before signing up.
- Click Getting Started on the Business Licensing and Tax service.
- Follow the steps below based on your business status.
If you do not have an existing business
- Click File New Business Application. Be sure to select the endorsements for which you wish to apply.
If you have an existing business
- If you haven’t already, add access to your business. You’ll need a UBI number and letter ID.
- Click on the business you want to apply for a license/endorsement under, then click on the location.
- Click File New Business License Application.
You can pay using an E–check or a major credit card (gift cards can’t be used).
Find more help for using My DOR, including video tutorials.
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
Fax: (360) 705-6699
Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
City of Lakewood
6000 Main St. SW
Lakewood, WA 98499-5027
Phone: (253) 589-2489