City of Kennewick registration

City of Kennewick registration

Who needs a license?

Kennewick requires all businesses to be licensed with the city if they are:

  • Located within city limits, or
  • Conducting business within city limits.

Check here if you don’t know if you do business within city limits or call the city at (509) 585-4268 before applying.

You must complete a separate registration for each business conducted.

Exempt businesses

  • Organizations certified as exempt from federal income tax under IRS code 501 (c)(3), (4), or (5) such as:
    • Accredited public or private schools, colleges, or universities
    • Religious bodies, recognized churches, fraternal organizations and lodges
    • Civic and charitable organizations, including nonprofit hospitals and clinics.
  • Transitory businesses such as traveling shows, entertainers, circuses, etc.
  • Small businesses that gross less than $12,000 per year

Home operated businesses

A home-based business must meet certain criteria required in the Kennewick Municipal Code 18.42.090.

Submitting an application for a City of Kennewick Home Occupation Business License certifies that you have read and agree to comply with the home occupation requirements on page 2 of the Kennewick Requirements and Fee Sheet.

How to apply

Apply by using one of the following options:

  • Online with My DOR. My DOR works best with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.

    1. Login using your Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID. If you don’t have a user ID or aren’t sure, see if you have an account first before signing up.
    2. Click Getting Started on the Business Licensing and Tax service.
    3. Follow the steps below based on your business status.

      If you do not have an existing business

      1. Click File New Business License Application. Be sure to select the endorsements for which you wish to apply.

      If you have an existing business

      1. If you haven’t already, add access to your business. You’ll need a UBI number and letter ID.
      2. Click on the business you want to apply for a license/endorsement under, then click on the location.
      3. Click File New Business License Application.

    You can pay using an E-check or a major credit card (gift cards can’t be used).

    Find more help for using My DOR, including video tutorials.

  • Mail us the appropriate fee with the following completed forms:

Mail your completed application, supplemental forms, and a check or money order payable to “Department of Revenue” for the fees to:

State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034


City registration Fee
Kennewick general business license $55
Kennewick employee fee $5 per FTE
Other fees that may apply Fee
State tax registration No fee
Registering your business name as trade name $5
Business License Application fee $19 (non-refundable)

Contact information

State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034

Phone: 1-800-451-7985
Fax: (360) 705-6699

Office hours

Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Mailing information

Please remember to enclose all necessary documents and fees with your completed application. Incomplete submissions will result in a delay in your licensure.

It is important that you contact our office, in writing, with any changes in address.

Regulatory questions

City of Kennewick
210 W 6th Ave
Kennewick, WA 99336

Phone: (509) 585-4268
Fax: (509) 585-4445