City of Gig Harbor license
Who needs a license?
Gig Harbor requires all businesses to be licensed with the city if they are:
- Located within city limits, or
- Conducting business within city limits.
If you don't know if you do business within city limits, call the city at (253) 851-8136 before applying.
As of August 24, 2015, Gig Harbor prohibits marijuana-related businesses. These types of business applications will not be considered by the city.
Note: Peddlers are those who go from place to place offering for sale goods, wares, merchandise or service of any type. Solicitors are those seeking to obtain gifts, donations or contributions of money, clothing, or other things of value. Peddlers and/or Solicitors will apply directly with the City of Gig Harbor; not through the state. Please follow this link for the application process. PEDDLERS / SOLICITORS.
Businesses exempt from city licensure include:
- Farmers or gardeners selling their own edible products.
- Noncommercial fisherman selling fish or other edible aquatic animals.
- Persons delivering newspapers.
- Delivery of goods or services purchased outside the city.
- Any special events licensed under another city ordinance.
- Any federal, state, municipal government agency or other political subdivision of the United States.
- Tax-exempt nonprofit organizations recognized by the United States and Washington state governments.
- Nonprofit groups supporting sports, charity, or activities related to public schools, public safety, or municipal support.
- Special event participants and vendors complying under GHMC 5.25.
- Minors with no employees conducting business such as babysitting, lawn mowing, car washing, and similar activities.
- Casual or isolated sales or services, such as garage sales and occasional parties for sales of goods.
Under what circumstances is a business license denied?
A license may be denied to a business for any of the following reasons:
- The applicant is a minor and does not have the written consent of a parent or guardian.
- The applicant has had a similar license revoked or suspended.
- Failure to comply with any federal, state, or local laws and regulations.
- Conduct of the business activity in a manner which endangers the public health, welfare, or safety.
- Fraud, false representation, or suppression of material fact.
How to apply
Apply by using one of the following options:
- Online with My DOR. My DOR works best with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
- Login using your Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID. If you don’t have a user ID or aren’t sure, see if you have an account first before signing up.
- Once logged in, add My DOR to your list of services, then open My DOR.
- Follow the steps below based on your business status.
If you do not have an existing business
- Click File Business License Application. Be sure to select the endorsements for which you wish to apply.
If you have an existing business
- If you haven’t already, add access to your business. You’ll need a UBI number and letter ID.
- Click on the business you want to apply for a license/endorsement under, then click on the location.
- Click Add License Endorsements/Employees.
You can pay using an E–check or a major credit card (gift cards can’t be used).
Find more help for using My DOR, including video tutorials.
- Mail us the appropriate fee with the following completed forms:
|Gig Harbor general business license
|Gig Harbor nonprofit business license*
|Other fees that may apply
|State tax registration
|Registering your business name as trade name
| Business License Application fee
*Businesses qualify for the nonprofit license if they are registered with the Office of the Secretary of State as a nonprofit corporation.
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Please remember to enclose all necessary documents and fees with your completed application. Incomplete submissions will result in a delay in your licensure.
It is important that you contact our office, in writing, with any changes in address.
City of Gig Harbor