City of Chehalis license
Who needs a license?
The city of Chehalis requires a license for all businesses, unless exempted from city licensing, if they are:
- Located within city limits, or
- Conducting business within city limits.
Call the city at (360) 345-2229 before applying if you are not sure if you will do business within the city limits.
Businesses exempt from city licensing
Some businesses may be exempt from the Chehalis business license. For more information, contact the city directly at (360) 345-2229. Chehalis Municipal Code 5.04.090.
Nonprofit businesses qualify for the nonprofit license if they submit a copy of the businesses IRS 501(c) certificate with their application and are exempt from the city fees.
A business owner who intends to conduct business from a residence within the city must comply with Chehalis Municipal Code 17.90.010. For more information on home occupation requirements, contact the city directly at (360) 345-2229.
The license for a business operating in this city, but based outside this city, is determined by gross annual income earned within this city’s limits:
|Reported gross annual income
|$0 through $2,000
|Chehalis general business license
|Chehalis nonprofit business license
|Chehalis home occupation business license
|Chehalis general business - non-resident license
|Other fees that may apply
|State tax registration
|Registering your business name as trade name
| Business License Application fee
How to apply
Apply by using one of the following options:
- Online with My DOR. My DOR works best with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
- Login using your Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID. If you don’t have a user ID or aren’t sure, see if you have an account first before signing up.
- Click Getting Started on the Business Licensing and Tax service.
- Follow the steps below based on your business status.
If you do not have an existing business
- Click File New Business License Application. Be sure to select the endorsements for which you wish to apply.
If you have an existing business
- If you haven’t already, add access to your business. You’ll need a UBI number and letter ID.
- Click on the business you want to apply for a license/endorsement under, then click on the location.
- Click File New Business License Application.
You can pay using an E-check or a major credit card (gift cards can’t be used).
Find more help for using My DOR, including video tutorials.
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
Fax: (360) 705-6699
Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
City of Chehalis
1321 S Market Boulevard
Chehalis, WA 98532
City Phone: 360-345-2229
City Fax: 360-345-1039