City of Kirkland
Who needs a license?
The City of Kirkland requires a license for all businesses, unless exempted from city licensing, if they are:
- Located within city limits, or
- Conducting business within city limits.
Call the city at (425) 587-3140 before applying if you are not sure if you will do business within the city limits.
If you will have more than one business located on a single property, you must complete a separate application for each business.
Businesses exempt from city licensing
Some businesses may be exempt from the Kirkland business license. For more information, contact the city directly at (425) 587-3140.
Nonprofit businesses qualify for the nonprofit license if they submit a copy of the business'
IRS 501(c)3 certificate with their application and are exempt from the city fees.
A business owner who intends to conduct business from a residence within the city must comply with Kirkland Zoning Code 115.65.2. For more information on home occupation requirements, contact the city directly at (425) 587-3140.
Businesses may be exempt from the city licensing fee if they comply with Kirkland Municipal Code 7.02.120.
The license for a business operating in this city, but based outside this city, is determined by gross annual income earned within this city’s limits and number of employees (FTEs):
|Reported gross annual income
|$0 through $12,000
||No license required
|Above $12,000 + 1 or more employee(s)
||$100 + $105 per employee
License fee is determined by number of employees
See Requirements and Fee Calculation Instructions
|Kirkland general business license
|Kirkland nonprofit business license
|Kirkland home occupation business license
|Kirkland general business - non-resident license
|Kirkland fee-exempt business license
|Other fees that may apply
|State tax registration
|Registering your business name as trade name
| Business License Application fee
How to apply
Apply by using one of the following options:
- Online with My DOR. My DOR works best with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
- Login using your Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID. If you don’t have a user ID or aren’t sure, see if you have an account first before signing up.
- Click Getting Started on the Business Licensing and Tax service.
- Follow the steps below based on your business status.
If you do not have an existing business
- Click File New Business License Application. Be sure to select the endorsements for which you wish to apply.
If you have an existing business
- If you haven’t already, add access to your business. You’ll need a UBI number and letter ID.
- Click on the business you want to apply for a license/endorsement under, then click on the location.
- Click File New Business License Application.
You can pay using an E-check or a major credit card (gift cards can’t be used).
Find more help for using My DOR, including video tutorials.
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
City of Kirkland
123 5th Ave
Kirkland, WA 98034
City Phone: 425-587-3140
City Fax: 425-587-3110