WA State Licensing: Cigarette wholesaler

Cigarette wholesaler

A Cigarette Wholesaler endorsement is required for businesses that purchase, sell, or distribute cigarettes to retailers for resale. You must include with your application a $5,000 surety bond required by the Department of Revenue.

Note: To purchase, sell, or distribute other tobacco products besides cigarettes, you’ll also need a Tobacco Distributor endorsement.

Post your license

A license must be posted at each location where the licensee operates. You may not begin this business activity until you receive a Business License document listing the required endorsement.

How to apply


Complete a Business License Application online using our new online system, My DOR. You can pay with E-check or a MasterCard, Visa, Discover or American Express credit or debit card (gift cards cannot be used). Note: The credit/debit card option is provided to you by a private, non-state vendor that will impose a 2.5% convenience fee for the service.

By mail

  1. Complete the following
  1. Mail your completed forms with a check or money order payable to “Department of Revenue” for the fees to:

State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034


Specialty endorsement Fee
Main location $650
Each branch location $115
Other fees that may apply Fee
Registering your business name as a trade name $5
Business License Application fee $19 (non-refundable)

Regulatory questions

Department of Revenue
Phone: 360-534-1503