Add or change trade names
To register a trade name or make changes to an existing trade name, you must:
- Submit a new Business License Application.
- Pay the appropriate fees. In addition to the $19 Business License Application processing fee (non-refundable), there is a $5 fee for each name registered.
How to find out if a trade name is available
Search in the following locations to make sure the name you have chosen isn’t already taken:
- Search business licenses. If your search result is “No matches were found for your search,” try spelling the name differently or leave out abbreviations or punctuation such as Inc, LLC, etc.
- Department of Revenue — All trade names may not be included.
- Secretary of State Corporations Registration Data Search — Corporation and limited liability company names.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Commission — Search for federally registered names.
How to file add or change a trade name
Online - The fastest way to file!
Online applications are typically processed within two business days. It may take up to 21 days if you file by mail.
- Complete a Business License Application online using an E-check or a MasterCard, Visa, Discover or American Express credit or debit card (gift cards cannot be used). Note: The credit/debit card option is provided to you by a private, non-state vendor that will impose a 2.5% convenience fee for the service.
- You must have Internet Explorer 6.0 and above or Firefox. Safari and Google Chrome are not supported at this time.
- Mobile devices (tablets, smart phones, etc.) are not recommended.
For certain activities, you should file a paper application.
- Complete the Business License Application and any supplemental forms that apply to your business. To find out which supplemental forms you’ll need, see the Business Licensing Guide.
- Mail your completed application, supplemental forms, and a check or money order for applicable fees to the address on the form.