Hiring employees for the first time or reopening an employer account
If you are not already an employer and want to hire employees for your business for the first time, you must:
- File a new Business License Application.
- Pay the appropriate fees.
How to file a Business License Application
There are two ways to file the Business License Application:
File online with My DOR. My DOR works best with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
- Login using your Secure Access Washington (SAW) user ID. If you don't have a user ID or aren't sure, see if you have an account first before signing up.
- Click Getting Started on the Business Licensing and Tax service.
- Follow the steps below based on your business status.
If you do not have an existing business
- Click File New Business License Application. Be sure to select the "Hire Employees" option.
If you have an existing business
- If you haven't already, add access to your business. You'll need a UBI number and a letter ID.
- Click on the business you want to apply for a license/endorsement under, then click on the location.
- Click File New Business License Application.
You can pay using an E-check or a major credit card (gift cards can't be used).
Find more help for using My DOR, including video tutorials.
- Complete the Business License Application and any supplemental forms that apply to your business. To find out which supplemental forms you’ll need, see the Business Licensing Wizard.
- Mail your completed application, supplemental forms, and a check or money order for applicable fees to the address on the form.
Note: The Department of Labor and Industries and Employment Security Department will expect quarterly reports following the date you put on the Business License Application as the first hire date. Reports are required quarterly for all active accounts, even if you have no employees and "0" hours to report. Failure to submit your quarterly reports will result in the assessment of penalties and interest.
Hiring additional employees
If you are already an employer and plan to hire more employees at the same location, you do NOT need to file a new Business License Application. Please contact Department of Labor and Industries, Employment Security Department and Department of Social and Health Services for more information.
Each time you hire an employee, you must report the hiring to the Department of Social and Health Services.